HELP! My eCig is not working - Exhale's Quick-Fix Troubleshooting Guide
show / hide sidebar
EXhale's Quick Fix Guide.
When you just want to vape, there's nothing worse than finding yourself faced with a product that is not functioning well. If you're in this situation at Exhale we know that you'll want to find out what the problem is and be able to fix it right away and with the minimum of fuss too. We are here to help you to do exactly that and, when on occasion that is not possible, we can assist by providing you with a low cost solution in our online store too.
Our experience in the industry and from talking to our customers has shown us that some of the issues vapers experience, particularly in the early days, are very easy to resolve and that with just a little "know-how" those issues just disappear.
Before calling or emailing us, please take time to scan down the headings set out below or look elsewhere within Help & Guides where other pages have titles that sound more like the issue you have and therefore may be more appropriate for your specific problem. Whatever the issue we aim to help you fix it - fast!
HELP!!!! My battery button not functioning when pressed!
If your battery is fully charged but appears not to be working - it may be turned off (deactivated /disabled)
eCig batteries have a really nifty and very useful feature which allows them to be completely switched off thus preventing stored power from accidental discharge should anything press against the button whilst it is not in use or in transportation. Its also useful to use as a child deterrent, though we always advise all vaping equipment is kept out of reach of children and of pets..
LET'S FIX IT
The same command sequence will switch the disabled battery on or off (disabled/re-enabled - activated/deactivated)
- Click the battery button 3 times within 2 seconds (Command sequence)
- When the command sequence input correctly the power button will flash rapidly as a visual confirmation of acceptance of the command.
- When switched OFF he button will not light when depressed
- When switched ON power button will function as normal.
NOTE: Some batteries are set to 5 clicks within 2 seconds rather than 3
Batteries may be set to automatically lock if a user continually over-vapes (button pressed more than 10 seconds). This is to protect the battery from becoming too hot and therefore causing it irreparable damage. By locking itself it forces more cooling time as you need to unlock it.
IF THIS DOES NOT FIX YOUR BATTERY IT MAY BE A DUD AND REQUIRE REPLACEMENT.
BUY YOUR REPLACEMENT & ADDITIONAL BATTERIES HERE: STANDARD BATTERIES
USE CODE EXHALE WHEN PASSING THROUGH CHECKOUT TO RECIEVE 10% DISCOUNT ON YOUR ORDER
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR: My battery Button LED is flashing - but I don't know why?
My battery Button LED is flashing - but I don't know why?
eCig batteries are fitted with intelligent micro-circuitry and the flashes are programmed to provide you with visual warnings (or confirmations such as those described in the solution above).
Watch the flashes so that you can identify what information your battery is providing you with as different patterns of flashes at different times will be giving you different information.
Overheating - Over-vaping
- The battery will flash as a warning if the battery button is kept depressed for more than 10 seconds.
- This is an overheating/overvaping warning
- The power will be cut off temporarily which forces cooling and prevents damage being caused to the battery and to the coil/clearomiser/atomiser device attached to it.
- If you continue to overheat the battery by continuous overvaping, the battery will put itself into the disabled state forcing a longer cooling down time.
- This prevents serious damage by overheating and irreparable damage.
Short circuit detection
- The battery will flash a warning if it detects a short circuit in the device that is attached to it and it not function when the fire button is pressed.
Change the coil or the tank on your battery as it is likely that there is a problem with it.
- Your battery will flash a signal when its stored power has been depleted letting you know that it needs to be charged.
if you continue to try to use it past this warning point to prevent damage by over-discharge you battery will disable itself
Charging has begun
- The battery will flash in a short burst when it has been successfully attached to the charger and the power has been switched on to let you know that charging has begun.
- This visual signal confirms that the connection has been made/power is being stored.
Charge lights on the charging lead will allow you to know charging status.
Red means charge is in progress.
Flicking from Red to Green indicates charge is almost complete
Green indicated complete.
Be Safe When Charging
- Only charge your battery with the correct equipment as has been supplied with and for your battery.
- Never use an adaptor that is not specifically for the electronic cigarette battery.
- Never leave a battery on charge overnight or unattended nor for longer than is specified.
- Remove battery from charging as soon as the the indictor shows that recharging has been completed.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR.....My clearomiser is not working - but I don't know why?
My clearomiser is not working - why?
There are a few things to consider when your battery is fine but your clearomiser/atomisation device is not functioning.
We have solutions here that will get you back on the road fast!
Make sure that the coil is secure
- Always follow the procedure set out by the manufacturer for your particular clearomiser or device.
- Failure to follow specific manufacturer instruction can cause damage to your device or its coil.
Devices that feature replaceable coil technology will need to have their the coil tightened before first use.
- It simply may not have been completely/securely screwed in at the factory during production/assembly. This is normal.
- NOTE: A coil can become loosened when dismantling the device to carry out liquid refilling.
- Even in a brand new and unused device a coil can be dud so if the coil is secure but is not working - fit a new coil.
- If your device is a disposable one (i.e. its coils are not replaceable) you will need to try a new device.
A coil can stop working and become dud at any time. Change it!
BUY YOUR REPLACEMENT CLEAROMISERS AND REPLACEMENT COILS AT EXHALE -
DON'T FORGETS THAT AT EXHALE YOU GET A 10% DISCOUNT ON EVERY ORDER BY QUOTING CODE "EXHALE' AS YOU PASS THROUGH CHECKOUT
- All clearomiser/atomisers/coils and their wicks are subject to wear and tear and as a vaper you must accept and expect your device to begin to fail over a period of time, more so when in constant daily use.
- As a vaper you must understand that with any eCig set up you will need to maintain it with care and replace its parts and components regularly.
- Follow the instructions for your specific device to change the coil, or, if it is not a device with the function and feature of having replaceable coils, then it is time to fit a new clearomiser.
When is a dud not a dud....
- When refilling with liquid the coil can become loosened.
- Why: This happens because the vacuum that is created inside the tank becomes so strong that when you unscrew the base to filll the coil can also work a little loose.
- Effect: This loosening will mean that there is a break the electrical circuit so that when power is supplied the device appears as if it has malfunctioned.
- Avoid: Make it your habit to check that the coil is properly secured each time you fill.
- Take care though not to over-tighten it. It need only be finger tight.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO LEARN MORE ABOUT WHY YOU SHOULD REPLACE YOUR COILS
Why You Should Regularly Replace Your Coils
In use a coil is subjected to heat and this causes:
Residue build up
- Coils become coated in liquid residue that is created during the atomisation process.
- Think of the coil as being like the element of the kettle which, in a hard water area becomes furred up with calcium deposits. The coil of wire in your atomiser when repeatedly heated becomes covered in residue and so to create any vapour the heat produced by the battey power passing along the wire coil has to get through these layers of residue deposit. Just as with the furred up kettle element which takes longer to boil, with a coil the affect is a reduction in vapour production and quality. It just can't heat enough to create a decent vape.
Those who vape with a VG only or high VG content liquid will find this happens more quickly.
Those vaping at hotter temperatures (such as with a variable voltage battery) will also notice coils degrade more rapidly due to more rapid coating which becomes hardened more quickly due to the extra heat.
- Wicks become coated in residue become carbonised.
- Carbonised wicks do not soak up and pass on liquid as well as they once did. Less liquid reaches the coil depleting vape production.
- Coated wicks leach their contamination into each new refill of liquid, tainting its colour and the taste.
- Residues build up with each vape and we may not even notice the degradation of vape quality and taste until we fit a new coil.
- Suddenly with a new coil w notice the astounding difference in vape production and in the cleanliness and smoothness of the flavours.
If your coil is struggling to produce a good vape, it is time to change the coil.
The heat produced in vaping also causes:
- As we vape we are repeatedly heating the thin wire of the coil - the wire then becomes brittle and fatigued.
- Eventually the coil will burn out causing the electrical circuit to be broken.
- Fatigued coils can be broken due to receiving a small shock, such as if the device is knocked or dropped.
How long a coil will/should last?
We are often asked this.
We all vape differently. I might vape a lot, you might only vape a little. I might vape with a high voltage or wattage, you might use a VG only liquid. All these different elements will have an effect on coil life and so will vary from person to person.
On average a coil's lifespan will be between 14 and 60 days. KangerTech one of the most well known and respected vape product manufacturers recommends that users of their products change their coils as soon as every 10 - 15 days, however in use we find that occasionally a coil will go on and on for absolutely ages, while others will proove a disappointment and might 'go' within a matter of days. It isn't an exact science.
As we've explained above, you may not even notice the degradation in your vape experience because it happens so slowly vape by vape. Of course if your coil does become dud, you have no choice but to change it however, as a matter of course EXhale recommends that included as a part of your regular maintenance regime you change your coil at least once a month (sooner if you are a very heavy vaper). This attention will keep your vape and its flavour clean and fresh - just like the day your kit first arrived.
- It is essential to use the right coil for your device.
- Although some of them look similar and may even appear to fit the screw threads, they will not be compatible.
- Use coils only with the devices they are produced to be used with.
TIP: With a new device or if a new coil has been fitted: After filling with liquid allow a couple of minutes for the wicks to absorb and become well soaked to feed the coil. This prevents Dry Burn.
We haven't forgotten those of you who use Variable Wattage & Voltage batteries.
Please scroll down to find out more.....
Are you vaping with a Variable Voltage/Wattage Battery?
All coils have a resistance rating measured in oHm's.
A coil that subjected to higher voltages than it is made to resist will burn out more quickly than normal. Wicks can become burnt and carbonisation leach into your liquid spoiling its taste.
Where the voltage appplied is too great for the resistance of the coil then it will become dud and 'blow' right away.
If you are using variable voltage and/or variable wattages for battery power be sure to set these at a level that suitable for the oHm's resistance of the coil/device in use.
Make yourself familiar and have an understanding of OHMS LAW.
This quick fix guide is written with the aim of answering the most asked about questions and hopes to get you on your way vaping with ease.
- Always read the product guide for your specific device.